- You can apply for a marriage license online or on any public computer in the Official Records Division between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. located within the Charlotte County Justice Center, 350 East Marion Ave. Punta Gorda FL. 33950 or the Murdock Administration Building, 18500 Murdock Circle, Port Charlotte, FL 33948.
- You will receive a transaction number. Take the transaction number and proper identification to the Official Records division located within the Charlotte County Justice Center, 350 East Marion Ave. Punta Gorda FL. 33950 or the Murdock Administration Building, 18500 Murdock Circle, Port Charlotte, FL 33948. Both parties must be present to receive the license.
- Any person 18 or older may apply in person with proper identification that wishes to get married in the State of Florida. If under 18, this would require additional consent.
- One of the following forms of identification is required for each party applying for a marriage license. Valid U.S. State Driver’s License, Valid Passport, Valid U.S. State ID card, Valid Alien Registration Card, or a Valid U.S. Military ID card.
- Both parties must apply in person. You are required to complete the Marriage License Application from any of our public computers.
For Florida residents there is a three day waiting period unless the applicant has taken the approved (4 hour minimum) Premarital Course.
Applicants will receive their marriage license on the day you apply in person, but for Florida residents not taking the Premarital Course the
license will not become effective until after the three days per Florida Statute 741.01
Approved Provider List
If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you can acquire a license with a signed and notarized Certificate of Consent form signed by either both parents or legal guardians. A certified long form Birth certificate must also be submitted. If one parent has full custody, then a certified copy of court order needs to be presented with the form. If one parent is deceased then a certified copy of the death certificate would need to be presented.
Any applicant under 16 years of age or under the age of 18 without parent consent must request approval by a Court Judge.
- An authorized Deputy Clerk of the Charlotte County Clerk of Courts Official Records Department can perform the marriage ceremony between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Monday through Friday located within the Charlotte County Justice Center, 350 East Marion Ave. Punta Gorda FL. 33950
- Your Marriage License is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. If you do not marry within this period (60 days), you will be required to purchase a new license. No refunds or extensions are permitted.
- If you find an error in your Marriage License you would need to contact the Charlotte County Clerk of Court Official Records department at (941)637-2240.
- 1. A regularly ordained minister or other ordained clergy.
- 2. All judicial officers (judges).
- 3. Clerks of Circuit Court and their deputies.
- 4. A Notary public of the State of Florida.
In addition, the law provides that marriages may be performed among "Quakers" or "Friends", in the manner and form used or practiced in their sentences.
- The Marriage License would need to be returned within 10 days from the date of your marriage to the Charlotte County Clerk of Circuit Court, 350 E. Marion Avenue, Punta Gorda, FL 33950. This is the only office able to record the Marriage License, if you return the license to the Murdock Administration Building, they will forward the original Marriage License to the Justice Center in Punta Gorda.
- Yes, once your Marriage License is recorded with Charlotte County we can provide you with a Commemorative Certificate. This certification cannot be used for legal purposes.
- For documents that were recorded from 1993 to present, select the Online Services Menu option from this site and then select the Official Records-Order options. Documents that were recorded prior to 1993 will need to be ordered directly from the clerk’s office.
Standard fee for Non-Resident of Florida and also Florida Residents
that did not take the Premarital Preparation Course - $86.00
- Marriage License with Premarital Course (Florida residents only) - $61.00
- The fee for the ceremony is $30.00. This process can only be performed at the Charlotte County Justice Center, 350 East Marion Ave. Punta Gorda FL. 33950.
- A certified copy can be obtained online once marriage license is recorded, this fee will be $9.00. If you plan to return the original license in person, then your clerk assisted certified copy will be $7.00.
- The fee for a Commemorative Certificate is $7.49. . This process can only be performed at the Charlotte County Justice Center, 350 East Marion Ave. Punta Gorda FL. 33950.
- Yes, your waiting period will be waived and your fee reduced to $61.00 if you are both Florida residents and bring us proof of completing 4 hours (or more) of counseling with a registered counselor.
You need to register with the Charlotte County Clerk of Courts Office. You can obtain the affidavit be clicking on the link below
Premarital Course Provider Affidavit
Then mail the completed form to the following address:
- Roger D. Eaton
- Charlotte County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Attn: Official Records
- 350 East Marion Ave.
- Punta Gorda, FL 33950